The Department of Mechanical Engineering started in July 25, 2012 (2012/2013 academic session with a vision to become one of the best in the nation in the near future. The philosophy of the Department is to marry theory with practical and hence produce innovative graduates who will be empowered to strengthen the weak or virtually non-existent manufacturing base of Nigeria in particular and Africa in general. This philosophy is the bedrock of the Mechanical Engineering undergraduate programme of Federal University Oye-Ekiti. The 5-year programme of is hosted by the Faculty of Engineering in the Ikole Campus of Federal University Oye-Ekiti. The department of Mechanical Engineering has well trained and highly experienced academic staff as well as very competent technical and administrative staff. In general, the department provides an excellent and a conducive atmosphere for practical and theoretical teachings, learnings and research activities. We have specializations in Production Engineering, Energy/Thermo-fluids at Masters and Doctor of Philosophy degrees.
The Department is composed of two academics groups which define the major thrust of work in the Department, namely: Design, Manufacturing and Product Development Group and Thermo-fluids and Energy Group. Students learn to create innovative products and use energy resources in ways that are economically viable and environment friendly.The Department focuses on providing the students with the skills that will enable them design and manufacture reliable, economical, and versatile products.
Description of the general responsibilities of the department.
Our Mechanical Engineering graduates are resourceful, creative, knowledgeable and able to perform the following functions:
- Design engineering projects and supervise their construction.
- Design and make components, machines, equipment and systems.
- Design and develop new products and production techniques in industries.
- Install, operate, maintain and service complex engineering systems so that they can perform optimally in our environment.
- Adapt and adopt exogenous technology in order to solve local engineering problems.
- Exercise original thought, have good professional judgement and be able to take responsibility for the direction of important tasks.
- Apply management skills to solve a wide scope of management and organization problems related to any Engineering set up.
- Improve on indigenous technology to enhance local problems solving capability.
Communicate Engineering concepts and ideas by oral, written and graphical means and to assimilate, interpret and evaluate information from a wide range of sources including IT based systems.